Monday, November 21, 2016

Teaching Children a New Chore

I loved this when I read it earlier today! I already made my post-it!

"There are five classic steps for teaching a new chore to children:
1. Tell them
2. Show them
3. Do it with them
4. Supervised practice
5. Independent practice

I would encourage you to put these things on a sticky note and place it above your kitchen sink for a season until you have the steps down.
Do not expect children to do a chore well when you have only done the first two steps with them. It can take a short or long time to get from Step One to Step Five, depending on the child and the specific chore.
Make it a fun time by gathering all the kids for the telling and showing steps, then use the timer to see how fast each person can do the new task. Celebrate with a treat!"

Taken from Large Family Logistics: The Art and Science of Managing the Large Family

1 comment:

  1. Great advice! We sort of do this naturally, but I like the idea of putting the steps on a post-it note. A good reminder for mama!

    ReplyDelete