Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A Matryoshka-themed Birthday Party!

Our older daughter just turned two on May 15th. Even though some days as a Mama can feel like they are never going to end, the months always seem to fly by faster than I can be ready for them to pass! Our little Miss Pink has blossomed into our family clown and has developed a personality that I can't describe in just one word. She is a comfort in rough times, coming to her Mama and patting me on the back, hugging me and telling me that everything will be ok. She is our main eater in the house, loving everything she ever tries, and watching her eat is nothing but a pleasure. She is the mini-mama of the family, copying my every move with her baby doll and reminding us all when we forget to cross ourselves or pray throughout the day, and loves the Mother of God most of all.

Even though my parents never really did birthday parties for us when we were growing up (my mom was a working mother and I think she just didn't have the energy for a party for each of 5 kids...), when we had our first baby, I decided I'd like to try doing birthday parties for the kids. Sometimes people can view birthday parties as a way of spoiling their child, but I think it's a really nice way of celebrating life with not only family, but friends too. When my cousin died suddenly a few years ago at the age of 38, I realized that every year is truly worth a celebration. I love to pick a little theme for each party, and this year, I chose a matryoshka theme for my little Pinky. Here are a few photos from the day...

I always try to make the birthday cakes for my kids and like the cake to go with the theme. I LOVED making this cake!!!! All I did was bake a rectangular cake and a circle cake (filling each pan half way with batter to ensure even sized cakes). I then cut the corners off of the rectangle to make it an oval, and cut a little from the circle cake. Put both pieces together, and use the scraps to make arms for the matryoshka.

Then, frost away!

Continue frosting the details, now! If you'd like to make details on a cake, I really recommend using a toothpick to trace what you are drawing first, and then following it up with the right color icing. I used gel cookie icing for the details on my matryoshka.






Since it was still Pascha season, I pulled out a cheese paskha and kulich for dessert, too!
I had so much fun putting together this party! I have to admit that all of the planning was last-minute. I was scrambling a few days prior to put together a menu and to gather decor (which was basically all matryoshkas I had in my house already). Thankfully, my best friend came to town from New Jersey and she helped me a lot in cooking but in decorating especially. We were so exhausted afterwards though, that I told my husband I'm glad we get a break from birthdays in our family until December. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment