Thursday, May 22, 2014

Home Sweet Home



Finally, after a full five weeks of being away from home, we're back. It feels good, but strange at the same time! I got so used to being fed freshly cooked meals which were prepared by my grandmother or mama, and having babysitters around all the time, and now I am having a reality check getting back into the groove of my housekeeping routine!! It's good though...being away for so long has made me feel like I'm getting a new beginning with being a homemaker, and I really like that.

A few of the necessary things to do when getting home from vacation have so far included making several to do lists: meal planning for the week ahead, unpacking suitcases and doing laundry (though I try to always come back from NY with freshly laundered clothes), cleaning each room (ideally this would be done prior to leaving, but never have I accomplished this yet...).

One of the best things about being back home is that spring has really sprung here while we were gone, and I feel like a load was lifted off of my chest because finally we can spend a lot of time outside without being uncomfortable or cold. It's been in the 60's and 70's this week and I love it! I have been thinking about a new daily routine for the spring and summer months and so far, I have nothing really concrete, but here's an idea of what I am shooting for (an what we stuck to today).

-Wake up before the kids (6 AM is what I'll aim for) - This will give me some "me" time and time to get a headstart on laundry and emptying the dishwasher
-Morning family time - Prayer, Today Show
-Breakfast
-Hubby goes to the office, Mama and kids go for a walk around the lake
-Play time in the house for the kids while Mama does housework and prepares lunch
-Lunch
-Story
-Nap time for all 3 babies, Tea time and down time for Mama
-Snack time
-Outdoor play time
-Indoor play/Dinner preparations
-Tata comes back from the office
-Dinner
-Family time (outdoor play or a family outing)
-Bedtime for the kids

I really thrive off of having a routine and I know that most importantly, children thrive from one as well. I'm really going to try to stick to this...especially the morning walk. I find myself to be much less crabby if I get some fresh air in the morning and I don't feel like I'm overwhelmed by lunch time this way.

I'm very excited for the upcoming Memorial Day Weekend! Late tonight, one of my best friends is flying in from New Jersey to be with us for the weekend. And on Saturday, we're having a barbecue for some friends in honor of my older daughter's 2nd birthday. We celebrated it in New York with family, but now we'll celebrate with friends whom we missed so much while we were gone!

1 comment: