Thursday, September 18, 2014

Something New

I wanted to share a new tradition I have started this month in our house. I call it Thoughtful Thursday.

For years now, I have been constantly thinking that I am not thoughtful enough. I always seem to be forgetting to do little things for people that can really make a difference and make them happy. I beat myself up when I forget to send a thank you card or a birthday card or forget to remind someone that I am thinking of them.

Enter Thoughtful Thursday.

For the last few weeks, each Thursday, I have made the time in our day (via my planner) to stop and do something thoughtful for someone else. For example...my grandmother was preparing for a hip replacement a few weeks ago, so the kids and I took some time out of our morning to write her a "thinking of you" card and send it out in the mail that same day. She got it a day before the surgery and she has thanked me about ten times since for that card which really made her day. Another day, I mailed a "just because" gift to a friend in need.

I cannot believe that I have never realized before that I should just assign a day of the week to doing something for someone else. It has made such a difference in my happiness to know that I am not completely disregarding other people any more. The kids have really enjoyed this so far as well. If there is one routine from our days at home together that I hope to keep up, it is definitely Thoughtful Thursday.

Join me in this, if you'd like! It's so fun and very rewarding!

No comments:

Post a Comment