Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Cleaning List for Great Lent

I cannot believe that we are just days away from Great Lent! It seems that every year, Great Lent creeps up on us, but this year especially, as it will be an early Pascha. 

I am always excited about the beginning of Great Lent, even though it always means extra temptations will arise. One of the things I am really trying to work on this year as we go into Great Lent, is prepare myself and give myself a list of things to work on so I can help myself stay on track throughout the Lenten period.

One of my favorite bloggers, Emily from Charming the Birds from the Trees, has always inspired me by her Lenten Cleaning lists. This year, I have looked at her list and taken her general idea, but adopted it to my own home. (Go to her blog and see her list, if you'd like). Every year her lists are very helpful, but what I love this year is her new idea of starting out on Cheesefare Week instead of on the first week of Great Lent. It is always challenging to throw myself into the Lenten period literally overnight, and trying to balance all aspects of home keeping, motherhood and spiritual life is hard for me personally. This idea of starting on Cheesefare Week is perfect for me, I think! It will be a nice way to transition into the first week of Great Lent. 

So, here is my plan. (This doesn't include much other than cleaning/organizing)...I'll share more about what we'll be up to during Great Lent in later posts.


Cheesefare Week
1.  Make sure that each room has an icon corner set up (especially the bedrooms)
2.  Update Lenten meal idea list, make meal plan for the first week of Lent, and make shopping list
3.  Shop for Lenten Staples (Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods)
4.  Prepare a few quiet-time activities for the kids for the first week (play-doh, stickers, crayons, paper)
5.  Dig into the Pascha tubs for plastic eggs and basket for our Countdown to Pascha Basket
6. Prepare music for Great Lent, finalize book selection for myself

Week One (Kitchen)
1.  Clean out fridge, freezer and pantry
2.  Clean out cabinets and drawers and get rid of ALL kitchen junk!
3.  Clean counters, appliances, and sink
4.  Wash out garbage can and scrub the floor
5.  Re-organize the kitchen command center/desk area

Week Two (Dining Room and Laundry Room)
1.  Dust the dining room
2.  Clean out unnecessary items from the buffet and china cabinet (re-organize as needed)
3. Have hubby hang up remaining wall decorations in dining room
4.  Laundry Room: Remove all old washing supplies and miscellaneous items/junk and clean shelves
5.  Re-organize the shelves above washer & dryer and replenish the supply of rags

Week Three (Playroom, Living Room, Entrance and Hallway)
1.  Sort through books, magazines, dvds, and cds
2.  Sort through puzzles, games, and toys
3.  Tidy art supplies and create a system for them
4.  Dust furniture and vacuum under cushions and under couch
5.  Organize coat closet
6. Hang wall decor as needed

Week Four (Bathrooms and Linen Closet)
1.  Clean out cabinets and drawers in bathrooms
2.  Purge bath toys and sort through bath soaps
3.  Clean tubs, showers, sinks, and toilets
4.  Wash bathroom floors
5.  Reorganize linen closet and towels

Week Five (Children's Rooms and Guest Room)
1.  Clean closets
2.  Go through books and toys
3.  Dust and make order throughout 
4.  Wash all bedding and curtains/flip mattresses
5.  Wash windows and floors, hang wall decor
                                             
Week Six (Master Bedroom)
1.  Clean out closets
2.  Tidy dresser, bedside tables, and chest of drawers
3.  Dust
4.  Wash all bedding and curtains/flip mattress  
5. Go through jewelry chest and miscellaneous items & re-organize

Great and Holy Week
1.  Paschal menu plan & shopping
2.  Clean car
3.  Wash glass doors and windows
4.  Tidy downstairs rooms
5.  Decorate the house for Pascha and spring 

1 comment:

  1. (this is Valia- im not sure if my name or email address will display once I post!)so, Im checking out your blog and I love this to do list for Great Lent! Im going to use it! Mine last year was a disaster! I ended up doing everything in one day. Not smart!

    ReplyDelete