Monday, February 2, 2015

New Routines...

It's February already! I can't believe it. This last month was so crazy, I'm glad to say goodbye to it.

We are slowly settling in more and more to our home. It's a great feeling! Along with the home organization and decor though, I have been trying to make new routines for the kids and I, too. I was nervous how things would go on days that Tata is home, because the kids tend to be a little more bouncy when he's around, but so far we have managed fine with keeping to a routine (especially because Fr. is busy blessing homes most days these days, so we don't see much of him, anyway).

I am really liking our new after-lunch routine. Once everyone has finished eating, I set the timer for 20 minutes and send the older kids to the couch (they each take a couch) for some quiet resting time. The rule is they can either sit quietly, read, or play with a quiet toy on the couch. No music, no noise, no talking. I turn off our morning music then, too (I love to keep Pandora playing classical or gypsy music all morning long), so it is quiet. While they rest, I clear the table from lunch and catch up with dishes. Normally, this does take me the whole 20 minutes. (Hopefully as they grow, I can change the time to longer lengths!) If I finish quickly in the kitchen, I join them on the couch and do a silent activity myself (reading, usually). If the timer goes off and the kids did a nice job staying on the couch (usually they do pretty well), I give them a little treat (like a hershey kiss) and then turn on the TV for a little while. While they watch TV, I have a cup of tea or a latte and catch up with my favorite blogs, email, etc. The TV time is limited, and I set a timer for that, as well (usually I let them watch for an hour. Usually, they watch a Serbian or Russian cartoon). Just as easily as they can watch TV all afternoon without a timer, I'd be able to sit on the computer all day, too, and I want to avoid that. :)

This rejuvenation time for me is crucial in order to have a successful and calm day with the kids. I find that the days that go off of routine, it's harder for me to stay patient in the afternoon, and the kids also have a more difficult time getting along and cooperating with our family rules. One of the major bonuses of couch time and silence (other than water running or clanking dishes), is that on some days one or both kids fall asleep for a nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment