Sunday, January 3, 2016

New Year!

Happy New Year! (A few days late).

So far, 2016 has been off to quite the busy start for us! I don't think it will get any less busy anytime soon between Christmas, a special girl's 2nd birthday two days later, Theophany, our family's slava, and then, my due date!

This year, I have started out two new traditions/rituals. One is for our family, and one is for myself.

The first one is one I have been trying to remember and do for several years now. Finally, this year I remembered thanks to Facebook. I have created a jar for our family (just a large mason jar with a ribbon on it), which will be used to throw in small pieces of paper that have happy memories and happy thoughts recorded on them throughout the year. If you read the description, it will make a little more sense to you (you jot down anything nice that happens pretty much - surprises, funny moments, accomplishments). I am excited about this! Then, on December 31st this year, my husband and I can open up the jar and see what little things happened throughout the year that we may have forgotten about. I love the idea of this jar, especially the fact that it helps you focus on positives instead of negatives, and I am hoping that we can fill it up to the top (or perhaps overfill it) by December 31st.



The second new thing I have started this year has been a new type of journal.



One of the main issues I struggle with (as I think many moms do) is remembering day-to-day things. It is always easy to remember a major event, but the little things are important, too. Well, it's like one of my friends read my mind because for my birthday, she sent me this journal. I LOVE it! All you need is literally 3 minutes a day, and you answer the same question each year on the same day. (For example, every January 1st for 5 years straight, you answer the same question....etc). You simply fill in which year it is, write your answer, and leave it until the next day. I know we are only a few days into this year, but so far, this has been a lot of fun and very rewarding for me. I love the idea of looking back through my answers 5 years from now once I have completed the entire journal. My favorite thing about it so far is that I do not need to prompt myself on what to write (which is the reason journaling never works out for me - I always have too much to record and not enough time)..the prompt is there ready for me and I have not had any difficulty answering any of the questions yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment