Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Great Lent, Day 2.

Happy Fasting to everyone!

Yesterday was a bit chaotic around here, so I didn't get the chance to write. Enjoying a moment of peace right now and wanted to tell you about our Paschal countdown this year (a Lenten calendar of our own sorts). Since our kids are small and this is also our first year doing something like this, I didn't want to do anything too complicated.

Here's what I did:

I took a large basket that I already had, and filled it with one plastic egg for each day of Great Lent and Holy Week, which in total was 48 eggs. (Pascha would be on the 49th day). Here's what our basket looks like:


Simple and quick to put together (and the eggs are cheap, too!)

Each morning, after morning prayers, the kids and I remove one egg from the basket. I put the egg away and I show them how many days of Lent have gone by (this morning, it was 2). I remind them each morning that once our basket is empty, it will be Pascha (Easter), and that will mean it's time to fill our basket with Paschal goodies! They love this and talk about it all day long, asking if it's time to remove another egg from the basket yet.

I wanted to give a quick update on the status of my kitchen (which I am feverishly working to finish organizing/deep cleaning this week). I have been trying to clear off the clutter from the top of the refrigerator for weeks now. Finally, I am happy to say that it's complete! To prevent myself and my husband from the temptation of putting anything up there anymore, I have put my cook books up there, as well as our Paschal basket (small hands will surely throw the eggs around the house if it's not kept up high!) and a bouquet of flowers. It makes me so much happier to look up there now!! Next, I'm going to work on my cluttered counter to the right of the refrigerator...another place that we're constantly dumping things on just because it's convenient.


Last, I wanted to share the books I am reading this Great Lent. The first two are ones I have read in the past years, but are so good I am re-reading them. These two are really good books to pick up each day of the year when you have a moment in the morning as you sip your coffee, or great pick-me-ups during a hard moment because they are full of inspirational, short quotes. If you are looking for just one to read, I very highty recommend Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives!


The books below are the new books I have chosen to read this year. I'm almost finished with Close to Home, actually, because I got a head start on it before Lent began. I'm really excited to read the next one because for a change, it's written about female monastics. I'm used to reading about male monasteries and monks. 


What are you reading this year?

Today's Quote: "No matter how much the waves of temptation rise up against your soul, always hasten to Christ. The Saviour will always come to your aid and will calm the waves. Believe that the Lord has providentially arranged such experiences for your soul's healing and do not reject them, seeking bodily peace and imaginary tranquility, for it is better to be shaken and yet to endure. If you will gain an insight from this, it will greatly lighten your struggle and you will gain more peace than if you do not." 
-St. Leo of Optina

No comments:

Post a Comment