Saturday, March 15, 2014

St. Seraphim Sarovsky



I grew up in a really tiny parish on Long Island, NY that is dedicated to St. Seraphim of Sarov, who is just about the favorite saint among most Russian Orthodox people. St. Seraphim really loved children especially and animals as well, and I have always felt close to him since I grew up in "his" parish. In 2008, I was really blessed to be part of a pilgrimage in Russia and on the actual feast day of St. Seraphim (August 1st on the old calendar), we went to Diveevo, where his relics are held. It was the most incredible experience to venerate his holy relics on the actual day of his commemoration in the Church. Needless to say, it was a huge blessing.

Today was a rough morning and there were various moments of upset in my little ones - a non-stop crying, really fussy baby - a two-yr-molar-teething toddler and a sleepy-but-not-sleeping older toddler. Right at the moment where I felt like raising the white flag, I told my kids to get on the couch and turned on Masha i Medved, a Russian cartoon about a bear and a little girl named Masha. My oldest (he's 3), said to me, "No Mama, I want to watch about St. Seraphim!" My heart melted into the hugest puddle... Not only do I love St. Seraphim, but also, we haven't let the kids watch TV all week, and it made me so happy that my son's first choice was not a secular cartoon, but a movie about a saint. He's been going around the house all week saying, "Христос Воскресе, Радость моя!" (Christ is Risen, my dear!) just like St. Seraphim would greet every person in his path.

If you are Russian speaking and would like to show this movie to your children, here is the link. Unfortunately, it is only 7 minutes long, but it's enough time to keep the kids busy while you put laundry away or get dressed for church!

No comments:

Post a Comment