Saturday, March 22, 2014

Motherhood: A Balancing Act


Today I felt overwhelmed by all the many things I have on my to-do list which never get crossed off. I feel really ambitious some days, and then it frustrates me when I have nothing to show for myself at the end of a day, a week or a month. Today my overwhelm got the point where I felt completely distracted and unfocused on my housework and the kids. Luckily, my husband was home and urged me to go out and get my eyebrows done quickly, which I have been trying to do all week. I grabbed a book in case I'd have to wait (and secretly, I hoped there would be a wait!) and slipped out the door.

As I sat waiting, I pulled out my book - A Mother's Book of Secrets. I was incredibly surprised to find that the chapter I had my bookmark on was called "A Balancing Act." The chapter was all about feeling overwhelmed like I have been...It was refreshing to remember that I am not the only Mama who struggles with that.

So tonight, I'd like to share some tips from this chapter which I am hoping to incorporate into my life starting Monday. I found this idea which you'll read about below, to be genius!

"Begin by drawing three lines at the top of your daily planner page or just on a blank piece of paper if you don't do planners. Write one thing on the first line that you are going to do for yourself that day. It may be just reading the introduction of the book you've been dying to get to for the past month. It could be making time to exercise for fifteen minutes or writing a letter you've been procrastinating so you can get it off your mind.

On the second line, write just one thing that you want (not need) to do for someone in your family -- it could be for a child, a spouse, or your mother. Just some little thing that will make a difference, like complimenting a child on a job well done, calling your mom to see if she's OK, or telling your husband how much you love him for sacrificing something he wanted to do with the family.

On the third line, write something you want to do (not need to do) in 'your world.' If your work is at home, that could be cleaning out the junk drawer that drives you crazy every time you open it. If you're at an office, you could send a note to a someone to tell them how much you appreciate them. Your world that day may be serving a friend or neighbor. Just choose one thing!

Determine that even if doing what you have written on those three lines is the only thing you accomplish that day, your day has been a success! You'll feel a little more balanced because even though those three little things probably won't take as much time to accomplish as the things that you have to do, you will love accomplishing just three things that you really want to do rather than feeling controlled by the things you have to do. Doing those three things every day is also important because they usually have to do with relationships - with yourself, your family, and your work. They are things that keep you thinking about the most important things in your life."

Isn't this just brilliant??? I feel like God answered my prayer just by having me read a little of this book today! I have been struggling to come up with a good system in which to balance all my relationships and responsibilities, and this just seems like a perfect little daily exercise. I think I may actually do my planning the night before for each day, though. We'll see how it goes. I'll keep you posted.

I really recommend this book to all moms who have young children in their house still. It's written by a mother and her daughter and truly, they do share real secrets with their readers!

I hope to be back tomorrow and share a recipe or two.

Have a great weekend! We are half way through Great Lent already!!

No comments:

Post a Comment