Sunday, March 2, 2014

On Motherhood

My husband went to church tonight for Forgiveness vespers, which meant I got to put all 3 kids to bed without his help for the first time since the baby was born. At one point, for a good while (and of course for what seemed like an eternity), all three kids were screaming. There just wasn't enough Mama to go around. (The biggest problem was it was obvious they each needed their own time with me, instead of a group hug). I took a deep breath and did what I could, which in this case was make the rounds and go from one kid to the next. As I laid on the bed with my middle child (my older daughter), trying to get her to fall asleep, I heard the baby start screaming in the background and thought about how I wish I could give each of them what they need right away every time, though it's not always possible. This moment made me realize just how big and capable God is, and how little and incapable we are even though we tend to think we are capable of so much. He is the only One who can truly help all of His children with all of their problems at one time, and that's a beautiful thing.

Looking forward to tomorrow, the first day of Great Lent, a new beginning for every Orthodox Christian. 


I'll post an extra quote tomorrow since it's late and I don't have one at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment